Have you ever met someone that doesn’t like fried chicken?
Didn’t think so.
Korean food seems to be one of the biggest trends right now, solidifying its position as one of the most sought cuisines in Malaysia. After all, everyone has their cravings once in a while right?
Korean Fried Chicken is absolutely heavenly. Let’s get that statement out because it is the truth. The KFC has a thin crust that’s extra crispy from the double frying. Paired with the sweet & spicy sauce, this is a match made in heaven.
First off, you’ll need to marinate your chicken with salt, pepper and ginger then thinly coat it with cornstarch. The potato starch gives it that thin, crispy crunch. To make sure your chicken comes out nice and crispy, you’ll need to double fry it. That means frying it at a lower temperature to make sure it cooks thoroughly then frying it at a high temperature to get that ideal crust.
For the sauce, the main ingredients are gochujang (Korean Red Chili Pepper Paste), ketchup, garlic and corn syrup.
If you don’t feel like pouring the sauce all over the chicken, you can always use it as a dip!
Korean Fried Chicken Recipe
adapted from koreanbaepsang.com
For the chicken:
2 pounds chicken (about 16 drumettes and wings)
1 tbsp salt
½ tsp grated ginger
½ cup potato/corn starch
Oil (for frying)
For the sauce:
2 tbsp grated onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tspn finely grated ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp gochujang, Korean red chili pepper paste
2 tbsp corn syrup
1 tbsp sugar (or more to taste)
1 tspn sesame oil
- Wash the chicken wings and drain thoroughly. In a bowl, add the chicken, salt, pepper and ginger then mix well. Leave to marinate for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium low heat. Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil then onions, garlic and ginger. Stir until fragrant. Add all the other sauce ingredients and mix well. Simmer until it thickens.
- Remove excess water from the marinated chicken. Then add cornstarch to the chicken and toss to coat it evenly.
- In a large pot, add the oil to deep fry. At a lower temperature, fry the chicken until slightly brown then let it rest. Then increase the oil temperature and fry the chicken again until it is crispy and golden brown.
- Heat the sauce over medium heat. Add in the chicken and stir well until every piece is evenly coated. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.