For the sweet potato balls:
1 kg golden sweet potatoes
1 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
1 teaspoon salt
Yellow, purple and orange colouring
Palm milk sauce:
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup coarse sugar
1 piece pandan leaf
1 1/2 cups palm milk
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sago – boiled
Palm milk caramel sauce:
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons coarse sugar
5 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons palm margarin
1/2 cup palm milk
Toppings to enhance its flavour:
1 piece jackfruit
a few pieces pomegranate
To make the sweet potato balls:
- Peel, wash and cut the sweet potato into a more manageable size.
- Boil the sweet potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until it’s cooked.
- Put the cooked sweet potato into a container and sprinkle with some salt. Mash the sweet potatoes until it becomes a smooth texture, then add in flour little by little and knead it until it turns into a bread-like dough. (This process can also be done in a food processor).
- Divide the mixture into three different bowls. Colour each mixture with yellow, purple and orange colouring, respectively.
- Then roll the mixture into marble sized balls.
- Cook the sweet potato balls in boiling water. The balls will start to rise.
- Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Ensure the sweet potato balls are cooked thoroughly.
- Once cooked, remove the balls from the water and cool the balls in iced cold water.
To make the palm milk sauce:
- In a pot, boil water with coarse sugar and pandan leaf.
- Once the sugar has melted, pour in the palm milk and let it boil.
- Once boiled, turn off the heat and season with salt.
To make the palm milk caramel sauce:
- Put brown sugar, sugar and water in a pan and mix.
- Turn on the heat and let the sugar cook till it browns. At this stage, do not mix it at all. Just let it cook, and shake the pot if needed. This will also allow the caramel to be in a uniform colour.
- Once it turns golden brown, put in the palm margarin, pam milk and salt. Stir the mixture well.
- Put a few pieces of the sweet potato balls.
- Scoop the palm milk sauce into the bowl.
- Sprinkle with the additional toppings.
- Pour in some palm milk caramel sauce.