Get ready to impress your loved ones with this Black Mussels Paella! Special recipe from Chef Kim.
500g Basmati rice
500g of black mussels
1 no. of yellow onions
½ green capsicum
½ red capsicum
1 cup cherry tomatoes (15-20 pieces)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cube chicken stock
700 ml water
3 pips of garlic
2 Bay leaves
3 stalks of basil
2 stalks of thyme
Sea salt to taste
Saffron water 50ml
1. Boil 700ml of water in a pot with peppercorns, 1 stalk of thyme, bay leaves and garlic & season with salt.
2. Add in the clams and boil till the clams are cooked when the shells are all opened. Discard the ones that is not open.
3. Drain the mussels and reserved the liquid to cook the rice.
4. Meanwhile, chopped the onions, cut the capsicum into cubes and sliced the basil leaves.
5. Wash the rice and drain all the excess water.
6. Heat the pot with oil and saute half of the chopped onions, basil and tomatoes for 1 minute and set aside to use later.
7. In the same pot add some oil, saute the other half of the onions, thyme & add in the rice. Continue to saute and add in the tomato paste and stir well.
8. Pour in the mussel stock, crush the chicken stock cube to the rice and simmer for 20 minutes till the rice is cooked.
9. Finally , when rice is cooked, pour in the saffron water over the rice, add in the sauteed tomatoes and mussels.
Crushed the chicken cube stock to the mussel juice and dissolve it.